In our series, we introduce beautiful mosques from different countries. This time, we will explore the mosques of Russia.
Ahmed Kadyrov Mosque, Grozny
Located in the capital of Russia’s Chechen Republic, Grozny, this mosque was completed in 2008 and is one of the large mosques in Russia. It is also known as the Heart of Chechnya.
The mosque is named after the Grand Mufti of the Chechen Republic and its first president, Ahmed Kadyrov. The mosque’s design, featuring a 62-meter minaret, is inspired by the architecture of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul and was constructed with the support of the Konya Metropolitan Municipality. The mosque can accommodate more than 10,000 worshippers at once.
Built in the classical Ottoman style, the mosque’s central hall is covered by a grand dome. The height of the four minarets is 62 meters, making it one of the tallest minarets in southern Russia.
Kul Sharif Mosque, Kazan
The Kul Sharif Mosque was constructed in the 16th century within the Kazan Kremlin. It is named after Kul Sharif, a resistance leader against the Russians. Although it incorporates elements of early Renaissance and Ottoman architecture, its design is traditional for the Volga Bulgars.
The Kul Sharif Mosque symbolizes the revival of Islam and the state in Tatarstan. Due to the geographical features of the region, the mosque is situated on two platforms, an upper one for religious ceremonies and a lower one for museum visits.
The mosque’s courtyard has a capacity of 6,000 people. The symbol “Bismillah” constitutes the essence of the mosque’s architectural composition. Another symbol of this historical monument is the “tulip,” representing rebirth and growth.
St. Petersburg Central Mosque (Blue Mosque)
The St. Petersburg Central Mosque, also known as the Blue Mosque, was inaugurated for worship in 1913 and was the largest mosque in Europe at that time. A commission reviewed more than 40 projects for the mosque’s construction. The construction received significant financial support from Buhara Emir Sayid Abd-al Ahad Khan. Its architecture drew inspiration from Turkestan art.
This mosque, with a capacity for five thousand worshippers, became one of the largest mosques in Europe. It features two 49-meter minarets and a 39-meter dome, designed by architect Nikolay Vasilev and engineer Stepan Krichinsky. The mosque was fully opened for worship in 1920.
Lala (Tulip) Mosque, Ufa
Situated in the capital of the Republic of Bashkortostan, Ufa, the Lala (Tulip) Mosque with its two minarets stands out with its architecture and lively addition to the polar cold.
Construction of the mosque began in 1989 during the Soviet era, but due to obstacles, it was not completed until 1998. The mosque is named “Tulip Mosque” due to the tulip shape of its minarets. Ufa, where the mosque is located, is known as the city with the highest level of prosperity in Russia after Moscow.
Moscow Central Mosque
Built in 2015 by the Russian Council of Muftis in Moscow, the Moscow Central Mosque has a capacity for 5,000 worshippers. The interior decoration of the mosque was carried out in the classical Ottoman art style by the Presidency of Religious Affairs of Turkey (Diyanet) and the Turkey Diyanet Foundation.
The construction of the Moscow Central Mosque took seven years and was designed to accommodate 10,000 worshippers for prayer simultaneously. The mosque also includes a 150-person conference hall and the office of the Mufti. The calligraphy and penwork embroidery of the mosque were done in the classical Ottoman art style of the 16th and 17th centuries. The mihrab, made of special design Marmara marble, is adorned with belt inscriptions and raised lines in the technique of carved relief, prepared and assembled by Nakkaş in Turkey.