A World of ListsContinents

10 Facts About the Muslim Population Around the World

In today’s interconnected world, the Muslim population is a source of fascination, given its remarkable unity amid the diverse tapestry of humanity. While Muslims share common values and beliefs, there are also groups that embrace various interpretations of Islam, enriching its tapestry. Muslims are the fastest-growing religious group globally. According to a 2015 Pew research analysis, there are 1.8 billion Muslims in the world today. Here, we share ten fascinating facts about Muslims around the world, who hail from different cultures, languages, and historical backgrounds.

The Largest Muslim Population in the World Is in Indonesia

Endonezya Ogrenciler 1
Indonesia, Students

With over 220 million Muslims, Indonesia holds the distinction of having the largest Muslim population in the world. This number accounts for more than 12.6% of the world’s Muslim population. It illustrates that the Indonesian language is the most widely spoken language among Muslims.

The Asia-Pacific Region Hosts Over 61% of the World’s Muslims


The Asia-Pacific region is home to the largest congregation of Muslims worldwide. This region encompasses countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, and many others. The total number of Muslims in this region exceeds 972 million.

The Three Countries with the Highest Muslim Minorities Are India, Ethiopia, and China

Sincan Cin
Xinjiang, China

India, with 161 million Muslims, China with 21.6 million, and Ethiopia with 28 million have the highest percentages of Muslims living as minorities. Even though Muslims are a minority in these lands, the numbers indicate that they represent a significant portion of the overall population.

India and Pakistan Together Host Over 21% of the World’s Muslims


Despite their tumultuous history, India and Pakistan collectively share a substantial Muslim population, comprising over 21% of the world’s Muslim community. These two nations are home to a significant portion of the global Muslim population.

The Entire Middle East and North Africa Hosts Only 20% of the World’s Muslims


Contrary to a common but inaccurate belief that all Arabs are Muslims and all Muslims are Arabs, the whole Middle East and North Africa region hosts only 20% of the world’s Muslim population. The remaining 80% are non-Arab.

There Are Approximately 5 Million Muslims in Latin America

Latin Amerika
Latin America

It’s an important yet often overlooked aspect of Muslim diversity that Latin America hosts about 5 million Muslims. With a growing number of Latin converts to Islam, it’s expected that this population will increase. Consequently, the importance of the Spanish and Portuguese languages for Muslims is likely to grow.

The Caribbean Islands Are Home to Around Half a Million Muslims


The arrival of Islam in the Caribbean Islands can be traced back to Muslim traders. Furthermore, the tragic history of slavery saw African Muslims brought to these islands. Today, with nearly 500 mosques in the region, Muslims play a significant role in shaping the vibrant culture and history of the Caribbean Islands.

West Africa’s Sahel Region Has the Largest Muslim Population in Sub-Saharan Africa


Countries like Niger, Nigeria, and Senegal have made West Africa, home to more than 257 million Muslims, the region with the highest Muslim population in Saharan Africa. It is estimated that by 2030, the region will host over 257 million Muslims.

Nigeria Has the Highest Percentage of Muslims in the Sahel Region


With nearly half of its population identifying as Muslim, Nigeria boasts the highest percentage of Muslims in the Sahel region. The country’s Muslim population is expected to reach 117 million by 2030.

There Are Over 100 Languages Spoken by Muslims Worldwide


Precisely determining the number of languages spoken by Muslims worldwide is nearly impossible, given the diversity of this community in terms of cultures and origins. Muslim communities with historical ties speak over 100 languages, including Berber, Malay, Tajik, Maldivian, Uyghur, Tatar, and Sudanese Arabic…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button